We are pleased to announce we will also be offering services in the Greater Baltimore area beginning in the Fall of 2012. Please call to inquire and check the website often for updates!
HypnoBirthing® – The Mongan Method – is a unique method of relaxed, natural childbirth education, enhanced by self-hypnosis techniques. HypnoBirthing® provides the missing link that allows women to use their natural instincts to bring about a safer, easier, more comfortable birthing. Emphasis is placed on pregnancy and childbirth, as well as on pre-birth parenting and the consciousness of the pre-born baby. As a birthing method, HypnoBirthing® is as new as tomorrow and as old as ancient times. It is presented in a series of five, 2 1/2-hour classes.
The knowledge of how to give birth naturally lies within each and every woman. Our bodies were designed to give birth, and believe it or not, we all have the power to labor comfortably and give birth joyfully!
Over the past two hundred years, as birth moved out of the home and into the hospital, it also moved from being a woman-supported natural process, into a managed medical event. As each generation of women put their trust in doctors and allowed their births to be medicalized, women slowly forgot how birth is supposed to be. Now the pendulum is swinging back and mothers all over the world are choosing to take birth back and claim it as their own.
HypnoBirthing is a simple concept. It teaches you how to use your mind to relax your body. When your mind and body are relaxed, you eliminate fear. Without fear, there is no tension in your muscles. Without tension, you can labor and birth comfortably! In my HypnoBirthing classes, moms and their partners learn proven techniques for achieving a deeply relaxed state of mind and body. You will not be “hypnotized” in the popular sense. You will be fully awake and aware and able to think and make decisions for yourself. You will remember your birthing clearly because your mind will be so relaxed that you can take in everything.
HypnoBirthing classes are offered as once-weekly classes spanning five weeks. Fees include the five 2 1/2 hour long classes, the textbook, HypnoBirthing: the Mongan Method, by Marie Mongan, relaxation CD, and phone / email consult.
Group classes for couples are offered in the Carrol Gardens and Ft. Greene sections of Brooklyn, as well as in Kew Garden Hills, Queens and the 5 Towns. Ladies-only classes are offered in the Boro Park and Williamsburg sections of Brooklyn. Group and private classes are offered in Manhattan’s Upper West Side.
Group classes can be arranged in your area with a minimum of five registrants. Contact us for details.
Private instruction can be arranged at your home or office.
We are proudly affiliated with the HypnoBirthing® Institute
- Recognizes birth as a key life experience that the mother will remember all her life…
- Understands the physiology of birth and the emotional needs of a woman in labor…
- Assists the woman and her partner in preparing for and carrying out their plans for the birth…
- Stays by the side of the laboring woman throughout the entire labor…
- Provides emotional support, physical comfort measures, an objective viewpoint and assistance to the woman in getting the information she needs to make good decisions…
- Facilitates communication between the laboring woman, her partner and clinical careproviders…
- Perceives her role as one who nutures and protects the woman’s memory of her birth experience.
The acceptance of doulas in maternity care is growing rapidly with the recognition of their important contribution to the improved physical outcomes and emotional well-being of mothers and infants.
If you are pregnant and find yourself thinking….
- I would really like a natural birth but I’m not sure how I will cope with pain
- I think I might want an epidural – but I would like to know more about the risks
- I would love it if there were someone experienced who could be with me while I’m in labour, to leave my partner free to be with our older child if necessary
- I still feel disappointed/angry/confused about my previous birth – I would like it to go better next time
- All this advice and information about pregnancy and birth is confusing – I need someone to talk me through it
- It would be nice to have someone there during my whole labour and birth instead of being passed from midwife to midwife
…then perhaps you should think about hiring a birth doula.
The support of a doula during pregnancy and birthing has been shown in a number of studies to have real benefits for women:
- lower rates of caesarean and instrumental deliveries
- better birth outcomes
- better start to breastfeeding
To the doula clients whose labors I support, I make three promises:
1) I will not lie to you in labor. A major portion of my service, especially for first-time parents, is informational support, so clients must be able to trust what I tell them. I give balanced information to answer any question, and do not hide the facts if something is happening that may require intervention or a change in choices by the parents. I will also not talk over your head as many hospital medical staff members do, hoping you will just nod and go along with their choices for your birth; if you need something explained, I will explain it to you.
2) You cannot hurt my feelings in labor. For me as a doula, the labor and birth places are insult-free zones. Sometimes, when things get tough and it’s all a parent can do to cope with the intense physical and emotional sensations of labor, they may say or do things that could otherwise be considered rude, such as snap at people, raise their voice, or ignore people. These are natural in labor, and I have respect for the natural process. Please don’t waste the effort needed to birth your baby trying not to hurt my feelings.
3) I will do everything in my power to make sure that you do not suffer. As noted above, there are many intense sensations associated with labor, both physical and emotional. In the physical realm, you may feel pressure, intensity, and even pain – this is normal. However, I will use my knowledge and skills to ensure that you do not have to endure unnecessary pain – that is, pain that can be soothed or avoided. In the emotional domain, the worst thing that can happen is that mom feels alone as the only person in the room who can understand these tumultuous contractions that she feels and no-one else can feel or see… I help to ensure that she does not feel alone, and I make sure that she has at least one continuous caring person with her throughout labor, birth, and those first couple postpartum hours. Sometimes, particularly if mom has no partner, I am the only person who is with her the entire time to understand what she is and has been going through.
The cost of a doula is priced in a way that reflects experience, individual knowledge, being on-call for a birth and the average time spent supporting a birth which can be 20 to 40 hours for first time parents not including prenatal visits and postpartum follow up. A great doula is worth every penny! Please contact us to discuss fees.
Do you want to know what hypnosis for fertility is all about? Fertility hypnosis is hypnosis focused on all aspects surrounding fertility, infertility and creating families.
Hypnosis for fertility is aimed primarily on finding that special place and time when your mind and body work in harmony to create your own personal miracle.
Fertility hypnosis is an individualized program to work alongside Natural Conception and has been proven to assist in Assisted Conception and the special circumstances surrounding Infertility and Conception leading to term.
Studies from around the world show the influence of Hypnosis on Fertility.
Hypnosis can provide you with the tools to enable you to find inner balance during Natural, IVF, IUI and other assisted or natural fertility related processes.
Fertility can be seen as a complex issue. Its one of the true miracles we see each and every day. Nature has its own way, and is quietly mysterious about giving up its secret. Thousands of couples are told, every day, that their fertility challenges cannot be explained (medically), and that the only treatments available are expensive, and with no guaranteed results.
Stress is certainly a major factor but this does not tell the whole story. When you are stressed, your body simply goes into self preservation mode, and babies are not a Number-One priority when it comes to survival mechanisms within the body.
How does Hypnosis assist Fertility?
The most obvious answer is that Hypnosis provides you controls over your own stress levels. You now have the tools to adjust your own stress levels, and ultimately signal your body that its ‘OK – to start a family’
Fertility Hypnosis goes beyond managing stress.
Hypnosis for Fertility gives you access to your entire being, from within. You can communicate with your reproductive system, as a whole, and in its parts, create and participate in a dialogue to promote their well-being from within, and literally change the chemistry needed for a fruitful outcome.
Hypnosis Fertility goes further to De-Hypnotize you from the negative Self-Limiting Beliefs you had previously accepted, from well-meaning healthcare providers as well as family and friends.
The 3rd and equally important part hypnosis for fertility encompasses is dealing with any negative thoughts, feelings and emotions surrounding your fertility. Healthy babies have better futures when their parents have positive thoughts, feelings and emotions about their own childhood.
‘It really feels good to be an active part to my own miracle’
For more information, please visit Suggested Reading
Still more on Hypnosis for Fertility
Hypnosis for Fertility goes beyond pregnancy alone. Be it natural or assisted. Single, couple, IVF, donors, adoption.
Hypnosis for Fertility supports women in their individual choices and inner conflicts to provide balance and harmony in their choices.
I assist women to come to terms with inner feelings surrounding Adoption, Donors, Family pressures to name just a few things you may be going through right now.
Hypnofertility supports early pregnancy for women who, in the past, haven’t been able to continue their pregnancy.
Hypnosis for Fertility sessions are 60 to 90 minutes in length. As issues vary so widely from couple to couple, it is difficult to say how many sessions are needed, but 6 to 10 sessions are somewhat standard. Sessions can be arranged either at Elements Spa or privately in your home.
A pregnancy belly cast, also referred to as a belly mask or belly mold, is a plaster casting made of an expecting mom’s beautiful pregnant belly. Instead of a flat 2D image from a photo, a pregnancy belly cast captures the exciting transformation a woman undergoes during pregnancy in full 3 dimensions!
A lasting keepsake of your pregnancy. This can be done in the comfort of your home. It takes about an hour. Your cast can be painted or decorated however you wish.
Want a happier, healthier baby?
Want a smarter, happier, better adjusted child?
Give your baby a massage!
Infant Massage Classes
By learning to massage your infant, you form an early bond that will help him through the rest of his life.
- Tells your baby that she is loved, that she belongs, that she is beautiful.
- Helps to develop a strong sense of self esteem, and knowledge of his place in the world.
- Helps to reduce stress–believe it or not, we pass our stress on to our children. And, by spending special massage time with your infant, you reduce your own stress as well!
- Helps to develop balance and motor control.
- A baby who has been massaged knows good touch, and is able to know and refuse ‘bad’ touch.
In a series of classes, you will learn to massage your infant, and communicate with him through your touch. Massage can be a special time for both of you, when the world sits outside your door, and you both just relax. Older siblings can get into the act, both though the benefits of receiving massage, and by helping you in the ritual of massaging the new baby.
Infant Massage Classes are taught in a series of four to six classes, the ideal being five classes, but we go on baby-schedule. If babies are in the mood, classes are an hour or so in length for five classes, but we really do play it by ear. Classes are small and semi-private; no more than five babies, but baby can bring along one or two adults.